Monday, February 12, 2007

Strains of Silence!

I woke up this morning at around 7.30AM – there was something disturbing (for the lack of better word) that my morning sub-n-half-conscious-mind was not used to – I guess, that woke me up. I heard a myriad of voices - fortunately, those weren't in my head :) ; they were various calls of variety of birds. As I lay listening to those, those that seemed to morph into a rhythmic symphony, I could pick out the streak of various birds calling out. There was this long and plaintive call of the mynah; the hoarse caw of the crow – some unidentifiable voices of the birds – it would have been the perfect setting for an ornithologist. The best was yet to come; I walked out to the balcony and the air was s-t-i-l-l and fresh. There was this indescribable crispness to it – a cool whiff that touches you softly and washes over you. In the cusp of summer, the morning sun was gentle and trying to break through a light fog.

I stood enjoying, this musical in such a wonderful setting; then as wakefulness set in, it dawned on me. The usual cacophonies were conspicuous by their absence – no acrid smell of the exhaust smoke, no horns blaring, no sound of a macho-biker revving up, no bedlam of huge buses, and most importantly, no jangling of the nerves. The strains of the perfect morning had taken away any signs of stress.

As I enjoyed the moment, I realized this was how the world was before the industrialization took over; perhaps this was how my forefathers woke-up every morning in their villages when they took off to till the lands. It occurs to me now, that it is really not a very bad idea for us to have bandh, at least once a month, that closes down our city and opens up the world, instead.

3 comments:

balas said...

While industrialization may be partly to blame, the rest is also the mentality of people to prove their animal origins, by bulldozing their way through, loudly proclaiming their presence or protest, taking up more personal space than can be done in a civilized manner and so on. It is the balance thing - pure nature provided inefficiencies for general living, for which inventions were made (resulting in industrialization). Now pure industrialization (or is it over-?) is making us pine for going back to the starting point. Just shows that lack of balance in life makes life miserable.

Anonymous said...

did you wake up early in the morning finally?!! :) ;)

EnGeetham aka "My Song!" said...

4Balas: its the story of the fisherman and the CEO...

4AW: Yes, i do - a few other unthinkable things like running etc. How about starting cycling again ?